Thursday, November 19, 2009

poem about marriage/love

married.



I thought about getting married once.
I was out of school and all, just walking around, really,
when i saw a married couple burst out of a church,
grinning, laughing, holding hands.

and for one lousy second, I
ACTUALLY pretended as if I had
just gotten married. only one, though.

I couldn't really get married. men
are all happy, then they get married, then
they turn into goddam phonies. I've seen it.

its all the "tuxedo" this and
"ring" that. I've only thought about
this a little, but I think- if you're
in love with someone, well,
maybe you don't need to get
married.

marriage is like proving to the
rest of the phonies that
you too have pledged to
forever live a life of phoniness.

but I'd probably stand
speechless, when they ask me:
"Speak now, or forever hold your peace."





-Holden's point of view, if you couldn't tell :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this does remind me of Holden, especially the part about how people just get married to prove to other "phonies" that they love the other person. It does make you wonder if we all really need to confess our love for someone else to many other people at a wedding. If you love someone, isn't it just good enough that they know? Holden definitely would say a lot of these things, but that especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great poem haley I like the part were you are talking about the phonies and these two lines
    I couldn't really get married. men
    are all happy, then they get married, then
    they turn into goddam phonies. I've seen it.

    "marriage is like proving to the
    rest of the phonies that
    you too have pledged to
    forever live a life of phoniness".

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like this poem, it sounds alot like holden and something he would do

    ReplyDelete